I am happy to announce that we are starting a brand new series today called House Call.
Since our decorating team can't physically come to everyone's home and help out with a decorating dilemma, we are lending a hand here at Home Design.
Here's her issue...
"I inherited this built-in when I moved into my apartment. While I had always loved the idea of a bar, this was a bit bigger and deeper than I had envisioned. I use it now as as a hybrid bar/storage area. Being that it is in the dining room, it's a focal point in the space. I am wondering whether to close it off with doors or fabric or go the other way and showcase it a more polished, styled way…help!"
Our decorating team gathered to survey the scene and came up with some stylish solutions for this built-in bar.
Top 5 Tips for a Chic Bar Area
1. Find an image you love and work off the elements to create your unique bar.
2. Call out the space by wallpapering, painting, or even adding a mirrored backing with mirror tiles, to the built-in.
3. Add an overhead light and some votives to brighten things up.
4. A mix of old and new pieces is great. Focus on displaying things that are truly beautiful and reflect your personality.
5. Make an investment in a few key pieces. They can be a basic like a traditional cocktail shaker or a showstopping set of glassware.
Do you have a specific decorating challenge? Send it to us at Home Design. We may be "dropping by" for a house call. Email your dilemma to email@example.com.